Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Australia Day (Jan 26)

Australia Day!

For those not in the know (I sure wasn't) Australia is commemorating the arrival of the first fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 and British Sovereignty over New Holland (thank you Wikipedia.org). In laymen terms ... Australia Day equals Australia's version of the fourth of July. Flags are waved proudly, and can be found on aprons, thongs (flip flops), backpacks, blankets, ... you name it, and there is an Australian Flag.

It's a day for Aussies to get together ... have a sausage sizzle, throw some prawns on the barbie, and play a bit of cricket in the backyard ... all followed by fireworks!

(speaking of Barbies, every year around Australia Day there's an ad campaign for Lamb here in Australia, below is the link for this year's ad)


Australia Day Lamb Campaign "Barbie Girl"

Here are some pictures of my experience of my very first Australia Day:

Cicerellos!! It's an AWESOME place. Fish and Chips in Freo, and super tasty


Didn't think to take a picture until I was half way done. Eaten with traditional malt vinegar ... and
not so traditional sweet chili sauce 

One of the little ones with us

Yes my friends ... you are looking at an ELECTRIC bagpipe!!

Bather's Beach in Freo (pretty nice view of the Indian Ocean, eh?)

Waiting for the fireworks to start


We put on some cool tats while we waited


Haha, this is Blair, his wife Naomi was sick and couldn't come. I have a couple pictures like this
Blair likes to steal the camera when I'm not looking! Haha.

Showing some Aussie pride! :)


Youngest in our brood

We were so close to the water that the guy taking photos on the right
got all wet from a wave that came and engulfed his little spot

Me and my man for the night! :)



1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of sn electric bagpipe.now I know.

    ReplyDelete