Monday, February 13, 2012

Morning Tea

I had induction for my new position on Friday, and today I had my very first official day of training. I left this morning just before 7 am to make sure that I would make it on time. I was the first to arrive (arriving 30 minutes early), and I was quickly ushered into the lobby area of the building where I was told to enjoy some coffee, tea, and biscuits. 

This is perhaps one of my most favorite bits of Australian professional culture. Every work place that I have been to so far, is equipped with a small kitchen, that has a sink, a hot water dispenser, and a dishwasher. The Learning Center where I'm beginning my training, is no different. You might be wondering why there is a dishwasher in just an average office building ...

Well, I was grateful for my stint at Morton Seed and Grain, which had instructed me on the appropriate cultural practices for this moment in an office kitchen. ;) Step one. Grab REAL mug from cabinet (as in ceramic ... ya, you heard me). Step two. Pour water from special hot water dispenser. Step Three. Steep Peppermint tea bag in mug. Step Four. Grab a teaspoon from the silverware drawer (yes, there's a proper silverware drawer at work, with REAL spoons, forks, knives) ... if there aren't any more tea spoons in the drawer ... look at the coffee/tea/sugar station, there is always a collection of 'already used by someone else to stir" teaspoons, that you can bravely pick out, and put in your coffee/tea for a stir. Step Five (and most important step) grab an Arnott's biscuit from the biscuit jar, for dunking purposes. 

I enjoyed my tea and biscuit until people starting filing in, and our instruction began. 

At 10:30 am, we broke for Morning Tea. Where everyone indulged in another 'cuppa', and a second biscuit. 

At Noon, we broke for lunch. 

Then, again at 2:30, we broke for Afternoon Tea. Where everyone indulged in yet another 'cuppa', and their third biscuit. 

By the time I left work today, I was feeling a little bit like a hobbit ... waiting on elevensies and my fourth biscuit for the day. 

But instead, I went home, and had Tea (dinner) with my roommate. 

If you didn't quite catch that ... here is the Australian meal order:

Breakfast
Morning Tea - cuppa and a biscuit
Lunch
Afternoon Tea - cuppa and a biscuit (or it can be an assortment of snacks instead)
Tea - (Dinner) 

Below is a picture of high tea, which replaces afternoon tea, where you drink tea and eat fancy petit fours and sweets, and allow yourself to feel really fancy ... this we don't do at work ... 






1 comment:

  1. Wow, but oh so fun! Now who is the magic fairy that puts the dishes in the dishwasher and put away the dishes?

    ReplyDelete